12.28.2010

Aspies ask the most interesting questions...

"Mom, how do they get toothpaste in the tubes? The holes at the top are awfully small..."
Most of the questions Logan asks me, I just can't answer. We love Google at our house. Aspies think differently than the rest of us...they have their own little world. They change topics on the drop of a dime. They also have no filters. Whatever comes into their brains tends to come right out of their mouths...it's often funny, but it's often embarrassing and leads me to have to make apologies. Logan talks incessantly. Unless you have an Aspie, you probably can't understand how going through your day NOT listening to your child is a very valued skill. It's either that, or go crazy. Aspie's tend to have one or two things that they are very interested in, and that's normally all they want to talk about. They do not know how to have a two-way conversation. Logan receives speech therapy at school to work on this. He is unable to tell when somebody is uninterested in what he is saying as he cannot read facial expressions or social cues. He assumes that if HE is interested, you must be interested as well. Logan's interests are video games and Yu-Gi-Oh. Listening to him discuss these two things in detail all day long is both tiring and irritating. Yes, my child is irritating. I am not afraid to say it. I play the "Uh-huh" and "Yes" game often. I have learned to tune him out, but appease him enough to make him think I am listening. I really don't think he cares that I am listening most of the time - he just wants to talk, and get out of his system whatever it is he has to say. Again, not something most people can understand unless they deal with an Aspie.
Butters slept through the night. I, however, did not. When I crawled into bed around 11, I heard him moving around and was convinced he was going to wake up. Therefore, I couldn't sleep because I laid in bed just waiting for him to stand up in his crib and start crying. He never did...but because I have been so accustomed to getting up with him, I just waited...awake.
I have a b&b list a mile long...sewing, photography, sketching for spring, samples, wholesale packets...this will keep me busy all week. My goal is to cross everything off of this list by Friday.
b&b on Kare 11 - woo-hoo!

No comments: