12.29.2010

ASD - Atrial Septal Defect

So today's focus has been Butters. He's been coughing off and on for about a week, and with his ASD (Atrial Septal Defect - a little hole in one of his heart valves) this can be indicative of a problem with his baby heart. I took him to the doctor this morning, and sure enough there is some fluid built up in his lungs - a sign that blood is possibly leaking from his heart into his lungs through this little hole. No good. When we first saw the pediatric cardiologist back in July, they had said that we need to watch him closely over his first winter for pneumonia and other lung issues, and if he had them they may do the surgery to close the hole.
Now, this didn't really scare me at first. They explained that they use a scope that goes in through one of the veins in the hip and insert a small plastic piece over the hole to close it. However, my accountant of all people put the fear of God into me. During one of our meetings, I found out his son died when he was only three years old. To make matters worse, he died having the surgery to fix his ASD. OMFG. It took everything I had not to break down in tears in his office. Hearing a story about ANYONE losing a child at such a young age is terribly sad and makes me tear up to begin with, but hearing a story about someone losing a child due to a problem that MY child has makes me want to lose it completely.
When I first found out Jax had ASD, I found it ironic that Logan has the OTHER ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). So, I have two ASD kids with two different ASD's.

No comments: