1.31.2011

Denim Dilemma

WARNING: If you are someone who shakes their head in disdain at people who spend $200 on a pair of jeans, do not read this post. It will irritate you.

Several posts ago I talked about finding this amazing pair of jeans at Saks that I fell in love with, didn't buy, and then forgot the name of the brand. They were at our lovely Minneapolis Saks Off Fifth (the outlet version of Saks - the only Saks we are lucky enough to have here in Minnesota).

Now, let me preface by saying that I love this store. It's my happy place. Zac Posen dresses for under $500, Juicy sweatsuits for half of what you would see at Macy's and amazing Stuart Weitzman stilettos for less than $200.

This weekend I ventured back to Saks to get my jeans. The brand was Fragile. I left the store with my jeans (and a set of Juicy pj's and a Nanette Lepore top) and was a happy camper....that is, until this morning when I Googled "Fragile denim".

Sears - $14.50
JC Penney - $40.00
Kohls - $21.99

I think I urped a little in my mouth.

Everybody has their "things" that they are willing to drop cash on. For my husband, it's his hunting stuff (rolling eyes). For one of my friends, it's hair products. For another friend, it's cooking supplies. For me, it's shoes, bags and jeans. Not clothing in general, but shoes, bags and jeans. I adore the favorite long sleeve t's from Gap, but I'm going to wear my $12 t-shirt with a pair of Joe's and (in the summer) Betsey Johnson stilettos. Throw in a vintage LV clutch and I'm good to go just about anywhere.

I loooooove a great - no, AMAZING - pair of jeans. My favorites are Joe's. TR's, R&R's, Sevens, Paige, J Brand...I just love them. The first time I slid my body into a pair of Sevens it was over. I never went back to buying regular jeans again. Nothing else could compare anymore to designer denim. Yes, I am one of those people that will drop $200 on a pair of jeans. Guilty, and I don't care an iota.

So, I'm sure you can picture the look on my face when I found out my great new jeans I bought at Saks were sold at discount stores. It didn't sit well. I immediately went upstairs to check the tag, thinking I HAD to have spelled the name wrong or something. I didn't.

At this point I'm calling myself a snotty brat in my head. Who cares what brand they are, right? (Right?) They fit well, right? Of course, armed with this new information, my head is telling me they do not fit as well as I thought they did.

Now I'm sitting here wanting to return them. First, I feel bamboozled by Saks. Lesson learned - apparently the Saks outlet does not always carry "Saks" quality items. Second, I'm feeling a bit like a label whore, but I'm kind of okay with that. But third, and most importantly, am I losing my radar for nice things? Why would a pair of cheap jeans even appeal to me? I need a minute.

-------

I went back upstairs and tried them on again. These jeans are great. I have not lost my radar. I did a closer inspection of the top button closure and the back pocket in the pictures of the cheaper "Fragile" jeans I found online - neither of these things are the same as on the "Fragile" jeans I bought. Normally these are tell-tale brand identifiers.

Knowing what I know about fashion and retail I'm going to assume one of five things in this situation:
1. This brand first started selling at a high price-point to Saks, but then decided to make a cheaper product to sell to the masses and Saks stopped carrying them. Hence, they are now at the Saks outlet.
2. Vice-versa the above situation. They started out at mass-marketers and then went high-end. Happens often (ie Coach - for those of us that actually remember when Coach bags cost less than $100. I will spare you all my "I hate Coach" rant).
3. These are possibly two different brands with the same name.
4. There was a knock-off brand created before the higher-end "Fragile" denim had a chance to get off the ground. Also happens all the time.
5. A Saks buyer made a boo-boo and is possibly now unemployed.

All of this thought over a pair of jeans. Bet you all don't want to live in MY head.

I'm keeping them, by the way.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I just had this exact experience and train of thought after buying and then googleing a pair of Fragile Jeans today. (which is how I happened upon this post!)

I also will not be returning mine because they fit so perfectly, however, I do feel a little better that I got them on sale and only l paid $40 for them.

BTW, denim sale at OFF 5th this weekend, most brands are 30-40% off outlet prices! :-)

Anonymous said...

Blush001 wrote:
Hi! OMG! I just bought 3 pairs of the "Fragile" jeans-two of the same medium wash and one of the dark blue wash at Off 5th Saks...at 25% off since I used my MORE (Off 5th Saks store card). I was about to buy a white one too, but it didn't come in my size. When I tried them on, I thought, "Oh my goodness, it fit so well...and I actually have a butt in these jeans...I need to buy them in ALL colors and different styles if any".

I went home and thought I should google "Fragile" jeans and see what type of jeans are these...looks high end, but cheaper than "7 for all mankind". My thought process was exactly like "butters and beans". I felt ripped off, but maybe it is a high end version...who knows and who cares since it fits sooo well and it is sooooooooooo comfortable...no zippers, too!!! And it looks like I have a butt (the pockets add to the illusion too)....it went from pancakes to hard boiled eggs...lol. Okay, it didn't do miracles, but maybe wonders...LMAO!!

Anonymous said...

Blush001 continued with...
It might be higher end since the length of the legs are longer than the shorter and cheaper ones sold at sears, khols, etc.

Doris said...

Ha! This happened to me. I love the jeans so much I wanted a second pair in a different wash. When I looked online, they sold them at Kohls etc, I was glad because there is a Kohls next to my house. BUT IT IS NOT the SAME JEAN.
Now I don't know what to do because I want more of this brand and can't track it down...

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh I just tried these jeans on at Off Saks but they didn't have the ones that I wanted :( Does anyone know where I can buy them online? I can't find a website or anything for the real website for the more expensive ones

Erin said...

I think that Fragile Denim split into two lines of jeans. They kept the Fragile name for their budget line and are now (I think) using the name Sold Design Lab for their upscale line. The tags for old Fragile jeans and new Sold jeans are almost exactly the same, I've found. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Omg! I just left off saks and had the same exact experience.Thats how I found this blog. I bought two pair because I love the way they fit and then googled the as soon as I got in the car because I never heard of them. Once I saw sears, kohls, and jc penney I also felt like I made a mistake but I love them and will be keeping them as well. I dont feel so bad now after reading everyones posts.