3.22.2011

The tutu Mom.

I've always sworn I would never, EVER make a tutu.
I've become the tutu-making Mama that I said I never would become.

It started innocently. I made one tutu. Just one. Just for a project to kill some time because the b&b spring line is in production and I have some extra time on my hands.

I put a picture of said tutu on Facebook, and that was the end of it. The response was huge, and I took about five orders within a matter of 24 hours. Uh-oh. I'm officially a hypocrite.

I've always poked a little fun at Moms who make tutus. They don't require any sewing skill, and I always scoff at any project that calls for fabric and the use of a hot glue gun. I saw the whole tutu-making idea as unoriginal, too easy and kind of along the lines of hosting a Tupperware party. However...now I kind of get it. It's fun. It's creative. It's kind of like going into a pet store and seeing a tiny little fluffy puppy that you don't intend on going home with, but you do, because it's just so adorable you can't resist it. They're just so darn cute.

There's regular tutus, petti-tutus, sewn tutus, rose-petal filled tutus, ribbon tutus...I confess to having an absolute blast making them. I DID figure out my own little way of making them that does require a little more skill and time than the typical method, so I feel a little bit better about the construction end not being too hokey. I make them with tons and tons of tulle so they are super full and of higher quality then most (I still have yet to figure out why some people charge $40+ for a regular tutu with less tulle then I use). I can add whatever detail I want and use about a million different crafty-type doo-hickeys. I have a million ideas and I can't spit out samples fast enough. I've even figured out how to make eco-friendly tutus for b&b, but those will be on hold until next fall.

I will say that I have no intentions of starting a "tutu business" or selling them on Etsy. I want it to stay fun and not become work, or I know I'll lose interest. So, I will continue to make tutus for my friends and for friend's of friends. Here are some of the cute ones I've done so far:










No comments: