3.01.2011

The other side of the camera...

It's been a new experience for me photographing many of our pieces and being on the other side of the camera. At one point in my life, I was always the one being photographed. But now, I couldn't imagine being anywhere other than where I am now. I love designing and photographing - it's just a natural place for me to be right now. Maybe it's age, maybe wisdom, maybe neither, maybe both...but I'm happy.



We finally finished our first b&b high fashion piece, and last minute at that. I received an invitation for a charity design competition in LA, and decided to take the plunge into women's couture. What the hizell, right? Nothing to lose. Drawback was the invitation was received last week, then my fabric didn't arrive till Friday, and the submission was due last night. I'm pretty darn sure my seamstress wanted to hurt me...

Our intentions were to have it fitted and finished on Sunday to photograph that afternoon, but because my model was SO tiny, we had to make several adjustments that led us into Monday.

The material is totally luxe - a 65% hemp 35% silk charmeuse blend. The garment has an off shoulder top, hidden side closure, fitted bust and banded waist with a long side tie. The pant is a separate piece - a wide leg palazzo. I absolutely adore it, but because it was finished sooooooo last minute - yesterday at 5:30 with no good light left, and about an hour of mediocre light - I couldn't take my pictures until early in the evening. As I was waiting for it the final adjustments to be made, I got increasingly tense as I watched the sun drop, and drop, and drop.....
But, after some photoshopping, the first round of pictures turned out tolerable. Not great by any definition, but tolerable considering the situation.




If we continue to do high fashion, you'll definitely see a lot of wide leg pants - I'm obsessed with them. I also like to be comfortable, so silk blends and jerseys will be a staple. All organics and eco-friendlies, as usual.

No comments: